Julio Cesar Chavez Jr Suspended Indefinitely for Marijuana

Written by Lee Cleveland at Oct 04, 2012 - 04:49PM ET in News
Chavez Inage Courtesy of Top Rank Boxing/Chris Farina Chavez Inage Courtesy of Top Rank Boxing/Chris Farina
World Boxing Council (WBC) has suspended its former middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. indefinitely and fined him $20,000 USD for testing positive for marijuana in his post-fight drug test following his lopsided loss to Sergio Martinez last month.

The WBC released a statement earlier insisting that Chavez enroll in a "rehab center." They added Julio's suspension will last as long as the rehab center advises.

"The WBC will open its doors once again to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., so he can continue his successful career when he feels he can return. The suspension will last as long as the rehab center advises," the WBC statement said. "But ... we also give boxers the chance to continue a career path, after they undergo rehab."

If there is any positive in all this, the monies resulting from the $20,000 USD fine handed down by WBC will be donated to a medical center that cares for children with cancer.

In a handwritten apology issued to and later released by the WBC, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr apologized for his actions.

"I want to apologize to all the people who felt offended by my actions. I made them, and only I should face the consequences," Chavez wrote. "I will do my very best to change.

"This begins a new stage in my career. I will train towards achieving new targets, one of which is without doubt the rematch with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez."

Keep in mind, the WBC is only one of several sanctioning bodies and not the end-all-be-all of boxing. Their suspension, alone, won't keep Julio Cesar Chavez Jr  from fighting for a world title sanctioned by WBA, IBF or WBO. It simply means he cannot fight in a WBC-sanctioned title fight or eliminator until the suspension is lifted.


So why did Julio Cesar Chavez Jr use marijuana to begin with?

Promoter Bob Arum was told Chavez Jr smoked marijuana to treat insomnia.


Part II - Nevada Athletic Commission

Think Chavez Jr is done with suspensions and fines? If so, think again.

The Chavez Jr vs Martinez took place in Nevada and the Nevada Athletic Commission, independent of the WBC, will likely have its own set of suspensions and fines.

As a matter of fact, Nevada's ruling will be more far-reaching and consequential than the WBC's because other state commissions will likely follow suit with respect to any suspension handed down.


So what does this mean?

If Nevada suspends Julio Cesar Chavez Jr for a year, not only will he be barred from fighting in Nevada during that time, no other state commission in the U.S. is likely to challenge that ruling in their own state.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has not yet ruled on any punishment for Chavez but its been reported Team Chavez has tentatively requested a hearing in late October.

From the commission, Chavez faces a 6-12 month suspension and a fine in addition to the $25,000 USD that has already been deducted from his purse.

  Video  

Related Content

comments powered by Disqus

What is Fight Saga?

  • FightSaga is a new sports portal & community dedicated to all-things boxing.