Floyd Mayweather vs Sergio Martinez? 'Maravilla' isn't holding his breatheWritten by Lee Cleveland
Lineal middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO) has been trying to get Floyd Mayweather (43-0, 26 KO) in the the ring for nearly a year but will keep his options open in 2013.
Speaking from a packed conference room at Caesar Park hotel in Buenos Aires on Monday, Martinez stated, "Mayweather skirts around things so it's complicated to focus on going after him."
"I must look for my own path and if Mayweather appears, that will be phenomenal," added the 37 year old southpaw dubbed 'Maravilla' who defeated WBC Middleweight Champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr last month.
"For me, there's no doubt he's (Floyd Mayweather) the best boxer in the world. I always want to face the best, it would be a great opportunity for me."
Certainly Floyd Mayweather Jr as well as Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez could accommodate Martinez as fights against any of those superstars would generate tremendous interest and high purses.
However, the fight Martinez wants most is Mayweather vs Martinez....obviously.
The top pound-for-pound fighter in the world today, Floyd Mayweather is an undefeated fighter with titles in five divisions. A future first ballot hall of famer, Mayweather is the winner of four ESPY "Best Fighter" Awards and, according to Forbes Magazine, the highest paid athlete in the world.
Pictured: Floyd Mayweather lands a left on Victor Ortiz
Courtesy of Tom Hogan/ Hogan Photos/ Golden Boy Promotions
But before jumping back into the ring to fight Floyd Mayweather or anyone else, Sergio Martinez needs to recover from a left hand injury and may also need surgery on his knee.
"My left hand is improving well but it still hurts a bit because I had two fractures that have welded well," he said.
"With my knee, I need to keep working with my doctor to prepare for an operation on November 12."
Sergio Martinez, who became the lineal middleweight champion on April 17, 2010 by defeating Kelly Pavlik by a unanimous decision, expects to be ready to fight again in April.
"I'll be ready to fight from April, I'll need two weeks (to recover) after the operation, I'm nearly 38 and it's not the same to have an operation as it is when you're 20. I'm confident that after that my body will be 100 percent."
Unfamiliar to many casual fight fans and the public mainstream until recently, Sergio Martinez was arguably boxing's best kept secret until this year.
Given his ring credentials, pound-for-pound ranking, recent win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and flexibility to fight at 154 or 160lbs, Martinez hasn't been short on possible big name opponents. However, securing a bout with a superstar in the past was easier said than done because the Argentinian was viewed by promoters, managers and trainers as 'too much risk for the reward.'
But after his impressive win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr last month, he's considered by many a bonafide star who can generate a fair amount of interest in his bouts.
"I'm not looking at any rival, today I'm the objective and I have to work twice as hard as before to defend this world championship I've got," he said.
"I try not to have contact with other boxers, the offers will come soon, in the next month and a half, and then I'll have to decide who I choose (to fight)."
The middleweight champion added that he'd like to fight at least once in his native Argentina before retiring.