Boxing Nicknames | 40 of the Most Memorable MonikersWritten by Administrator
James "Lights Out" Toney lives up to his nickname by flattening "Prince" Charles Williams in 1994.
Boxers are, by far, among the most colorful athletes in the world and, accordingly, they also have the most fascinating nicknames.
Below is a list of 40 of the greatest nicknames in boxing history:
Should we add a few more?
Please feel free to add new names in the comments section below as we'll revise this list and publish a new-and-improved listing later this year.
If you submit names, keep in mind:
1. The fighter must be at least relatively high-profile and
2. the more creative and memorable his moniker, the better.
Who can forget names like "Lights Out" Toney, "Bonecrusher" Smith and fat man "Two-Ton" Tony? In some cases, a fighter's nickname was so good, it actually replaced his real name. For example, Donovan Ruddock is known more by "Razor" Ruddock and the name Eric Esch pales in comparison to his moniker, "Butterbean."
Can you think of anymore?
- James "Lights Out" Toney
- James "Bonecrusher" Smith
- Two-Ton Tony (Tony Galento)
- The Nigerian Nightmare" (Samuel Peter)
- The Baby-Faced Assassin (Marco Antonio Barrera)
- "Hands of Stone" "Manos de Piedra" (Roberto Duran)
- Darnell "The Ding-a-Ling Man" Wilson
- Donovan "Razor" Ruddock
- Michael "Second to" Nunn
- Ronald "Winky" Wright
- Homicide Hank (Henry Armstrong)
- Iran "The Blade" Barkley
- The Living Death (Lew Jenkins)
- John "The Beast" Mugabi
- Juan "The Hispanic Causing Panic" Lazcano
- Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson
- Merciless Ray Mercer
- Mike "The Body Snatcher" McCallum
- Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe
- Smokin' Joe (Joe Frazier)
- Sweet Pea (Pernell Whitaker)
- Hector "Macho" Camacho
- The Boogieman (Jesse Ferguson)
- The Brockton Blockbuster (Rocky Marciano)
- The Brown Bomber (Joe Louis)
- The Easton Assassin (Larry Holmes)
- Eric Esch "Butterbean"
- The Golden Boy (Oscar de la Hoya)
- The Greatest (Muhammad Ali)
- The Motor City Cobra (Tommy Hearns)
- The Truth (Carl Williams)
- "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler
- Vinny "The Pazmanian Devil" Pazienza
- Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins
- Andrew "Six Heads" Lewis
- Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini
- "Sugar" Ray Robinson
- "Iron" Mike Tyson
- DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley
- "The Viking Warrior" Mikkel Kessler
- "The Black Mamba" Roger Mayweather