Brussels sprouts: Nutritious, hip superfood promotes weight loss?Hot
Brussels sprouts, which offer a fine source of protein, iron and potassium, are surging in popularity.
Are you an amateur or pro fighter looking to get or stay in shape, or simply a non-athlete concerned about your weight?
Research suggests Brussels sprouts, which are low-calorie and fat-free, would be wise a wise addition to your diet because they increase the body's production of adiponectin, a natural fat-burning hormone.
Elevated levels of adiponectin are also believed to promote muscle efficiency.
But that's not all.
High in fiber, Vitamin C, folic acid and protein, Brussels sprouts are one of those foods that will fill you up and curb your appetite.
Moreover, they contain numerous disease-fighting phytochemicals which stave off colon cancer.
According to The New York Times, Brussels sprouts, along with with quinoa, tuna tartare, pork belly, kale and ramen, is one of the trendiest foods these days. As a result, expect to find them on the dining menus of upscale and mid-level dining establishments before they eventually make their way to chain restaurants and, perhaps, fast food joints.
Yes, food, like clothes and music, goes thrugh phases. Nevertheless, it's no surprise Brussel sprouts have been gaining in popularity lately.
If you're a fighter watching your weight, why not trade that side order of French fries for a bowl of healthy, delicious bowl of Brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts facts
- According to a Heinz survey in 2008, they were (back then) the most-hated vegetable in America. A similar poll in Britain yielded the same results.
- They are prescribed to improve digestive health, in Chinese medicine
- They can be grown just about anywhere – even in the coldest parts of the U.S.
- This veggie is a better source of vitamin C than the orange
- Packed with selenium, they are believed to reduce the risks of certain cancers and promote male virility.
- BOXING TRAINING
- WORKOUTS AND DIET
- BOXING FOR WEIGHT LOSS
- BOXING TRAINING TIPS
- TECHNIQUES & NUTRITION
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS