• News
  • News
  • Deontay Wilder and Bermane Stiverne suffer 'collateral damage' from January 17 clash

Deontay Wilder and Bermane Stiverne suffer 'collateral damage' from January 17 clash

Joseph Herron Updated
4589   0   1   0
After this past Saturday night's riveting and dramatic Heavyweight battle between incumbent title holder Bermane "B-Ware" Stiverne and new WBC champ Deontay "Bronze Bomber" Wilder, both fighters are currently nursing some respective wounds as a stark reminder of their grueling 12-round war of attrition. Immediately after the judges' scorecards were read in favor of the title challenger, Stiverne bypassed the customary post-fight press conference and was taken to University Medical Center in his hometown of Las Vegas, Nevada, for precautionary measures.

Upon receiving further examination at the facility, the 36 year old puncher was deemed badly dehydrated and was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.

The condition is a state in which muscle fibers deteriorate and are dispersed into the blood stream. A potential cause of the condition is excessive physical exertion. The former Heavyweight Champion was severely dehydrated prior to to his bout with Wilder, and after the fight, complained that his urine was a unhealthy brown color.

"I had to do my post-fight test, and I noticed that my urine was very dark," Stiverne said during a special press conference held after his release from the hospital. "I thought it was blood. I called my manager and over and told them."

"But when I got to the hospital, I found out it wasn't blood. It was from the muscle damage."

Hall of Fame promoter Don King commented to "Yahoo! Sports" about his fighter's post-bout condition.

"I came to the hospital as soon as I heard, and they're saying it was amazing that he (Stiverne) was even able to stand up," stated the 83 year old fight promoter to the Vegas media. "But this explains to me why he fought the way that he did."

During the twelve round contest, many ringside observers did notice an unusual drop in the former champ's customary punch output, which most experts believe was the primary difference in the fight's outcome.

All three judges at ringside awarded a unanimous decision to the title challenger, Deontay Wilder, with scores of 118-109, 119-108, and 120-107.

Despite picking up his first major world title, the American born Heavyweight also suffered serious injury for his efforts.

After returning to his home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on Sunday morning, Wilder underwent X-rays that revealed a fracture in the ring-finger knuckle area of his right hand. The fight fans and media members who greeted the 29 year old fighter at the airport stated that the new WBC champion's hand was visibly swollen.

"We don't know the extent of the injury until we get more information," stated one of Wilder's trainers, Jay Deas, to the Tuscaloosa News. "But we don't think it will keep him out of training long."

"He was going to be off to heal up after a very difficult fight anyway. Now is a great time to get everything fixed. We don't expect any change in the schedule, which would have him back in the ring in the summertime."

In the post-fight press conference at the MGM Grand, Wilder admitted that he injured his power hand in the fourth or fifth round of the title bout. The "Bronze Bomber" also stated that he hoped to defend his title at least two or three times during 2015.

If the fracture heals properly without any need for surgical repair, Deontay is expected to return on June 20th, as part of adviser Al Haymon's "Premier Boxing Champions" series on NBC against an opponent to be named later.
Tagged under:

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
Already have an account?



Latest Fights Listings