Golovkin vs Murata: Odds | Stats | Updates | VideoHot
Has Gennadiy Golovkin, who will turn 40 in May, slowed down?
Perhaps we'll find out on April 9th when he faces WBA Middleweight Champion Ryota Murata in an intriguing unification contest in the latter's native Japan.
GGG vs Murata odds
Per Bovada, Golovkin is a strong 1/6 (-588) favorite while Ryota is a 7/2 (+350) underdog. Hence a winning successful $100 wager on Golovkin would pay out just $17 while the same winning bet on Murata would net $350.
Golovkin opened as the favorite at 1/5 (-500) favorite.
"Golovkin’s odds to beat Murata aren’t doing it for me at this price; I’m afraid to say," stated Adam Haynes of GamblingSites.com.
"At 40, his best days are behind him. He should still win the bout, but he does not represent good value given that his extended age and his form in recent matchups haven’t been great."
"The odds for Murata to beat Golovkin are appealing. But ... he is taking a step up in class here compared to the caliber of fighters he has faced in recent times."
More odds are as follows:
Golovkin vs. Murata Tale of the Tape
GGG last fought in December 2020, stopping Kamil Szeremeta in seven. It will have been 15 months since he stepped into the ring but his layoff pales in comparison to Murata who hasn't fought since December 2019 (27 months).
Speaking to Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour, Golovkin explained why Murata is worthy of serious attention.
“He’s the pride and the star of his country,” Golovkin said of Japan’s Murata. “I know the organizers of this event. Everything will be top class, and I’m very excited to be a part of this amazing event. He’s an Olympic champion and he’s the current world champion holding the WBA title.”
Golovkin vs Murata
Titles: WBA/IBF Middleweight Titles
Date: Saturday, Apr 9
Time: 3:30 a.m. ET / 8:30 a.m. GMT
Main event ringwalks (approx): 6:30 a.m. ET / 11:30 a.m. GMT
Get the latest stories 24/7 from your favorite boxing sites on FightSaga's home page
Fight of a lifetime
For the 36-year-old Japanese star, this bout will be the fight of a lifetime. Given that, and the fact he'll be fighting in from of his countrymen, Murata is extremely motivated and will be superbly prepared. No, Ryota doesn't have the polish or experience that Golovkin boasts but may have an edge in determination.
Win or lose, it'll be a career-altering fight for Murata.
So while stats and facts surely point to a Golovkin win, a few of the intangibles might be on Murata's side.
In fact, hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum seemed to suggest an upset was in store.
"I would not be surprised if, in April, Murata beat Golovkin," Arum told Fight Hub TV. Golovkin has a lot of wear on him... he's 40 years old.... Murata's a pretty big punching guy."
Do you expect the Golovkin vs Murata odds to get closer?
Golovkin vs Murata / FightSaga Facts & Stats
- For U.S. viewers, the fight will be aired live between 5 and 7am.
- Golovkin and Murata have sparred in the past.
"It did take place but that was a long time ago," GGG told MMA Hour. " It was not the pure sparring approach that he came to spar me. I learned during those sessions that Murata is a very serious fighter with a high boxing IQ."
- Having avenged both of his losses by stoppage, Murata has defeated every fighter he's faced
- Golovkin, in the eyes of some, is still unbeaten as his loss and draw to Canelo Alvarez were very controversial
- Golovkin will be a month shy of 40. Will we see signs of age and wear and tear?
- Murata will have a 5-inch reach advantage
- Golovkin vs Murata has been bantered since 2017.
- This fight will be a middleweight title unification
- Murata is a national hero and has a large following in Japan.
- Since losing to Canelo in 2018, GGG has fought just 3 times
- Both fighters are heavy-hitting aggressors
- Golovkin has the highest KO ratio in middleweight championship history
- Murata is viewed as the weakest link among the middleweight champions
- A win over Murata may lead to a trilogy fight between Golovkin and undisputed super middleweight world champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in September.
More GGG vs Murata news and video from around the web below...