Mayweather vs Pacquiao PPV price, tips and ideas to cut cost
We are finally here!
Saturday night, boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao will face nemesis Floyd Mayweather in what will be the biggest fight in boxing history to date.
So how much is the Mayweather vs Pacquiao PPV going to cost?
Mayweather vs Pacquiao will be broadcast live on Pay-Per-View (PPV) via HBO and Showtime, and most viewers will pay $89.99 USD for the standard version and additional $10, $99.99, for high definition (HD).
Date: Saturday, May 2
Start time: 6pm ET (prelims, talk and build up)
Fight Card: 9pm ET / 2am London
Full Fight Card (in order):
- Brad Solomon vs. Adrian Granados
- Andrew Tabiti vs. Anthony Caputo Smith
- Christopher Pearson vs. Said El Harrak
- Jesse Hart vs. Mike Jimenez
--- PPV telecast---
- Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Gamalier Rodriguez
- Leo Santa Cruz vs. Jose Cayetano
- Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao
Mayweather vs Pacquiao actual fight time/ Walk in the ring
The fight card will start Saturday, May 2 at 9 PM ET. Actual flight time for the main event will likely be closer to 11pm ET and 04:00 in the U.K, depending on the length of the undercard bouts.
Don't be fooled:
Some cable providers may attempt to trick you by prominently advertising $99.99 as the set price. Only pay that amount if you want the HD version. Find the standard viewing option if you'd prefer to spend $89.99.
How to order
Order through your cable service provider.
Important PPV advice
1. Don't wait until the last minute to order. Rest-assured, cable providers will be jammed with calls all day Saturday, especially in the evening and night. And even if you have the ability to order PPV online or via your remote, order early because problems often arise.
Hence, if you wait until 8:30pm ET to order the PPV and have technical issues, expect to wait quite some time on the phone for a cable service provider technician.
2. If you only want to see the main event and are watching the fight somewhere than than home, be sure to arrive at your destination no later than 10:45pm ET to be safe. If Santa Cruz and Lomachenko score quick knockouts, and it's quite possible they will, the main event may take place as early as 11:15pm ET.
So what gives with the high price?
For starters, Floyd vs Manny will be the biggest fight in boxing history. Both fighters are sports legends and are still at the top of their respective games. As a result, they are must-see TV.
It's pure supply-and-demand economics... Like anything else, the cost for the Mayweather vs Pacquiao PPV is determined by public interest levels and consumers' willingness to pay. If advertisers could cover everyone's salary demands and the venue expenses, the fight would be on free TV, like the Super Bowl and Final Four, instead of PPV.
Remember Mayweather vs Canelo?
September 2013's blockbuster boxing event — THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO — ranked as the highest-grossing pay-per-view of all time, with nearly $150 million in U.S. pay-per-view revenue reported to date. And with 2.2 million buys, it fell just short of eclipsing the record buyrate held by Mayweather vs De La Hoya in 2007.
But Saturday night's PPV is expected to garner far more in revenue and buys.
So what if someone doesn't want to pay to order at home? How much does Mayweather vs Pacquiao PPV cost at bars/ restaurants?
Due to the fight's high price, some restaurant chains have opted not to order it. If you own an establishment, the going rate is purportedly between $3,000 and $5,100. As a result, the entry Mayweather vs Pacquiao price at most restaurants and bars is between $20 and $35 per person.
Buffalo Wild Wings will not have the fight but, for $30, one catch watch the card at Hooters.
Still too pricey? Here are a few PPV ideas...
1. Find an establishment that isn't charging a cover but will be requiring patrons to spend at least $15-$25. If you typically spend that much anyway, or expect to consume a big meal and a few drinks. you'll essentially watch the fight for free.
2. Have some friends over and split the cost.
3. Find a big, fraternity-like house party and pay $5 or less; It's Cinci de Mayo weekend, so there are certainly opportunities
4. Watch the replay for free next weekend on HBO or Showtime
More advice... Don't miss the main portion of the undercard
Two elite-level soon-to-be stars will be featured in the main portion of the card, Leo Santa Cruz and Vasyl Lomachenko.
How good is the Ukrainian featherweight, Lomachenko?
“Vasyl Lomachenko is the greatest amateur in boxing history,” stated Manny Pacquiao's Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum.
A fighting phenom, he amassed a mind-blowing 396-1 amateur record, even avenging his sole loss. He's also a two-time Olympic gold medalist (2008 and 2012).
“He is every bit as talented as both Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao and he will be a superstar very soon,” added Arum.
Currently a professional of only four bouts, he won a major world title last summer in only his third scrap in the paid ranks, defeating Gary Russell (then 24-0), a legitimate powerbroker and boxing's consensus Prospect of the Year in 2011.
Mayweather vs Pacquiao PPV fight logistics and broadcast details
Date: Saturday, May 2, 2015
Time: 9pm ET/6pm PT
Actual Fight Time for Main Event: Closer to 12am ET, maybe a bit earlier
Location: MGM Grand Las Vegas, NV, US
Related FightSaga Stories
MAYWEATHER VS PACQUIAO