Mayweather vs Pacquiao: Prediction and keys to victory
Fight week is here!
After years of waiting, we are just days away from Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Manny Pacquiao.
So who will win the fight of the century?
Here are the keys to the fight for both men:
Keys to victory for Floyd Mayweather
1. Stay off the ropes – Sometimes Mayweather can get too defensive when he’s on the ropes allowing his opponents to outwork him and steal rounds.
Mayweather has a five inch reach advantage so keeping the fight in the center of the ring where he can utilize his straight right works to his benefit.
2. Work the body - It’s not often that Mayweather is the bigger man in the ring but that will be the case on May 2nd. Working the body will be more effective against the smaller Pacquiao. This will slow down the agile Pacquiao in the mid to late rounds, take away his feet and make him more vulnerable.
3. Jab often- Mayweather should use his reach advantage and jab at Pacquiao’s head and body to keep him off balance and prevent him from closing the distance. In his rematch with Marcos Maidana in September, Mayweather connected on 64 out 149 jabs (43%). Expect a higher output of jabs Saturday night against Pacquiao.
Keys to victory for Manny Pacquiao
1. Stay busy- Pacquiao is not going to win a boxing match against Mayweather so he’s going to need to outwork him. Pacquiao needs to throw combinations early and often. Even if his punches are not landing cleanly, the judges might be impressed with his workrate.
Over his last three fights, Pacquiao has thrown an average of 674 punches. He’ll need to stay at that activity rate or higher if he plans to win on May 2nd.
2. Use the counter right hook- When Mayweather throws jabs at Pacquaio’s body, he will leave himself open to be countered by a right hook. If Pacquiao is able to time Mayweather with the right hook, he has a chance to land something big and hurt Floyd.
3. Throw punches at different angles- Mayweather is a defensive genius and is great at making adjustments so it’s vital that Pacquiao switch up his attack especially when he has Mayweather against the ropes.
In his rematch with Timothy Bradley, Pacquiao moved to his left and threw combinations at an angle instead of throwing combinations directly in front of Bradley and it was one of the reasons why Pacquiao took control of that fight in the later rounds and won a unanimous decision.
Mayweather vs Pacquiao Prediction: Fighters who have given Mayweather the most trouble have been bigger opponents have been able to force him to the ropes by bullying him or using a strong, stiff jab. Unfortunately for Pacquiao, he has neither of those attributes.
The first 3 or 4 rounds will be competitive but then Mayweather will begin to take command of the fight. Mayweather will win by unanimous decision. Scores: 117-111, 117- 111, and 116-112.
What's your prediction for Mayweather vs Pacquiao?