Pacquiao vs Rios: Stats, Facts & Highlights
Manny Pacquiao used speed and impeccable footwork to box rings around his younger foe last night.
It was textbook boxing at its best.
Although some insist he looked a bit slower, he appeared every bit the same fighter who pummeled Antonio Margarito and clobbered Joshua Clottey.
"He boxed well, his defense was good. Rios couldn't deal with his speed, stated Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach.
"We had a great game plan, going to the right, staying away from Brandon's big right hand. And he executed perfectly. I couldn't ask for anything more."
"Rios is a tough, tough guy—he took a lot of shots, I don't understand how he stood up."
"Manny is back, but he was never really gone. He's a great workhorse and champion."
Despite heated tensions between the camps earlier in the week, Brandon Rios and his trainer Robert Garcia should tremendous respect for Manny after the fight.
"I trained my heart out. Manny is quick. I did train for quickness, but he is so quick," said Rios.
"No disrespect. I trained my butt off, I did my best. I can say one thing: 'I never got hurt in the fight, he never stunned me. He just took me off guard... the quickness.'"
"I had a quick sparring partner, but Manny was quicker. My first mega-fight, I'm glad it was in front of you people. I'm not hurt. I could probably go another five rounds. Good job everyone in the Pacquiao camp, congratulations. But we'll come back better and stronger."
Robert Garcia added, "He did great. I think we saw the best Pacquiao today. He is a great person. We respect him for everything he has done in an out of the ring."
There is no doubt that Pacquiao is ready for more superfights and Freddie Roach was adamant about getting Marquez in the ring one last time. Although it's too early to determine Pacquiao's next opponent, it appears he'll fight again on April 12, 2014 and in the United States.
Pacquiao vs Rios: Facts & Stats
Date: November 23, 2013
Venetian Macao's Cotai Arena in Macao, China
Broadcast: HBO PPV (U.S.) BoxNation (U.K.)
Referee: Genaro Rodriguez
120-108, 119-109 and 118-110.
Manny Pacquiao (54-5-2, 38 KO) vs Brandon Rios (31-1-1, 23 KO)
- According to HBO, Pacquiao vs Rios was the cable network's first pay-per-view fight card outside the United States.
- The bout took place around noon on Sunday in China
- Both fighters enter this bout having lost their previous fight in Fight of the Year level bouts
- Although coming up in weight (from 140 to 147 lbs), Rios appeared to be the bigger man
- Pacquiao entered as RING's No. 7 pound-for-pound boxer in the world and the No. 3 welterweight contender
- Rios was ranked RING's No. 7 junior welterweight Pacquiao was a 1/5 favorite going into this fight; Brandon Rios was the underdog at 7/2.
- Guaranteed purses: Pacquiao $18 Mill (plus a share of gate and PPV revenue); Rios $4 Mil
- If Pacquiao vs Rios was a PPV success, Manny's paycheck will be comparable to his 2011 and 2012 single fight earnings ($22 to $28 Mil)
- Knockdown? Rios appeared to get floored early but it was ruled a slip.
- The 12th and final round was, perhaps, Manny's best. Some believed PacMan could have stopped Rios had he tried but Manny chose a more cautious approach.
"In the last round I didn't want to get careless so I backed off a little bit and gave him a chance to finish.... Why be careless like the last fight with Marquez?," stated Pacquiao (Round 12 Video)
- Pacquiao landed 281 of 790 (36 percent) while Rios connected on 138 of 502 (27 percent)
- Pacquiao vs Rios wasn't a live gate sell out which "may" be an indication PPV numbers under-whelmed.
- Manny's win was a Ray of Hope for his countrymen following the tragic after-effects of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines which has killed over 5,200 and left many without homes.
- In a statement prior to the bout, Pacquiao said:
"I really want to visit the area and personally do what I can to help our countrymen who have suffered so much in this terrible tragedy but I'm in deep training in General Santos City for a crucial fight so I regret I cannot go. I will send help to those who need it the most and I [encourage] all of you to pray for our country and people in these trying times."
Related FightSaga Stories