Terence Crawford: Net worth, earnings / purses should be higher (Dec 2019)
Crawford vs Kavaliauskas will take place at Madison Square Garden in New York City and will air on ESPN's flagship channel immediately after the presentation of the Heisman Trophy which will also be broadcast by the network.
Some will be watching Crawford for the very first time and will have questions about his accomplishments, net worth and earnings so we'll attempt to answer them.
Terence Crawford is widely considered among the three best boxers in the world, pound for pound. Although experts aren't in total agreement with respect to who No. 1 is, Vasyl Lomachenko and Canelo Alvarez, along with Crawford, are universally considered the top three.
Currently the WBO welterweight champion and consensus top fighter in that division, Crawford has also held titles at lightweight and jr welterweight.
Crawford vs Kavaliauskas purses
According to The Athletic, Crawford will earn about $4 million tonight. We don't know how much Kavaliauskas will pocket but suspect it's in the neighborhood of 300-350K.
Crawford bursts into the spotlight
In March 2013, a little-known Crawford stepped in on just three day’s notice to face respected former WBO lightweight champion Breidis Prescott (26-4, 20 KOs) on an undercard bout that would be televised live on HBO. Terence would seize the moment, winning a lopsided decision and impressing fans along the way.
He would also earn a $125K purse, by far the biggest of his career to that point.
Terence Crawford: Net worth, earnings
TC has been considered an elite level champion since 2014 but doesn't receive the acclaim Floyd Mayweather enjoyed, although he's certainly comparable to Money May. Soft spoken and settled, Crawford let's his ring skills do all of the talking and is not one who craves constant limelight or creates a lot of drama.
A super celeb in his native Omaha, NE, Crawford, because he is so low key, usually only generates buzz around fight time. As a result, his earnings don't equate to his skills and accomplishments.
Per Comparilist.com, the 32 year old Crawford's net worth is only $7 Million (although we believe it's closer to $10 Million), a far cry from previous and current contemporaries such as Mayweather, Canelo and Manny Pacquiao.
... But, even prime versions of Floyd and Manny would have experienced difficulty with Crawford.
Terence Earnings / Purses (Last 4 years)
Tonight vs Kavaliauskas - $4 Million; Opponent N/A
Dec 14, 2019
Won TKO 6 Amir Khan - $5.5 Million minimum; Opponent $4 Million
Apr 20, 2019
Won KO 12 Jose Benavidez - $3.625 Million; Opponent 500K
Oct 13, 2018
Won TKO 9 Jeff Horn - $3 Million; Opponent $1.75 Million
Jun 09 2018
Won KO 3 Julius Indongo - N/A
Aug 19, 2017
Won TKO 11 Felix Diaz - N/A
May 20 2017
*Won TKO 8 vs John Molina - $1.9 Million; Opponent N/A
Dec 10 2016
*Included $400,000 penalty Molina had to pay Terence for weighing four pounds over the 140-pound limit.
Won UD 12 Viktor Postol - $1.3 million; Opponent 675K
Jul 23, 2016
Won TKO 5 Hank Lundy - $1.21 Million; Opponent 150K
Feb 27, 2016
Won TKO 10 Dierry Jean - N/A
Oct 24, 2015
Record: 35 -0 -0
Knockout Percentage: 74%
Height: 173cm / 5 feet 8"
Reach: 188cm / 74"
Stance: Southpaw / orthodox
Debut: March 14, 2008
Born: September 28, 1987
Residence: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Achievements, accolades and tidbits
- Stylistically, Crawford is known for his exceptionally fast hand speed, punching power and defensive prowess, and is one of the few fighters in the sport's history who is equally dangerous fighting in orthodox style or southpaw. He also boasts excellent punching power in both hands.
- In August 2017, Crawford became the undisputed light welterweight champion and the first male boxer to simultaneously hold all 4 major world titles (WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO) since Jermain Taylor in 2005.
- Terence is one of only 6 boxers in history to simultaneously hold all 4 major belts in the same division. Others who accomplished that feat are: Jermain Taylor, Bernard Hopkins (2004), Cecilia Brækhus (2014), Oleksandr Usyk (2018), and Claressa Shields (2019).
- Crawford is, by consensus, considered one of the top 3 boxers in the world, pound for pound.
- Terence is believed to be a favorite of multi-billionaire and philanthropist Warren Buffett who often attends TC's fights when they're in Omaha.
- Boxing Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year (2014)
- (2) ESPN Fighter of the Year (2014, 2017)
- Best Fighter ESPY Award (2018)
- Has defeated standouts Ricky Burns, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Raymundo Beltran, Viktor Postol, Julius Indongo, Jeff Horn, and Amir Khan.
Major World Titles
- WBO Lightweight Title (2014-2015; 2 defenses)
- WBO Junior Welterweight Title (2015-2017; 6 defenses)
- WBC Super Lightweight Title (2016-2017; 3 defenses)
- IBF Junior Welterweight Title (2017; 0 defenses)
- WBA Super Lightweight Super Title (2017; 0 defenses)
- WBO Welterweight Title (2018-present; 2 defenses)
RING Magazine Titles
- World Lightweight Title (2014-2015)
- World Junior Welterweight Title (2016-2018)
Yes, Crawford is one of the best fighters in boxing and, perhaps, one of the best thus far in the 21st Century. And he's heavily favored tonight. However, he'll have to overcome some unusual obstacles because Egidijus Kavaliauskas seems to be the perfect opponent to overlook at the perfect time.
And will Crawford & Co take Egidijus likely because because of the latter's lackluster draw against Ray Robinson last March? Let's not forget, Kavaliauskas is still undefeated in 22 bouts and boasts 17 KOs.
At 5'9", the 31 year old Kavaliauskas is a two-time Olympian, representing Lithuania. He's tall, strong and rangy; Moreover, he's hungry and motivated but not well known.
Tonight, Crawford, despite being the very strong favorite, must be motivated and disciplined if he hopes to remain unbeaten.