Vasyl Lomachenko: Amateur record is RIDICULOUSHot
RING Magazine / WBA / WBO Lightweight Champion Vasyl Lomachenko (13-1, 10 KO) steps into the ring again Saturday to face Luke Campbell.
Lomachenko vs Campbell will take place at London's O2 Arena and will be broadcast by ESPN + and SKY Box Office.
How good is Lomachenko?
Many consider him the best boxer in the world, pound for pound. Moreover, he could very well be one of the great fighters ever.
Vasyl is revered for his exceptional hand speed, timing, accuracy, creativity, athleticism and mesmerizing footwork.
In fact, trainer James Gogue once stated Lomachenko's footwork is so good he looks like he's gliding around the ring on ice skates.
Lomachenko's fights are performances, indeed.
According to promoter Bob Arum, Vasyl's father did not let him train for boxing until he mastered traditional Ukrainian dance. He then went on to gymnastics before finally getting into the ring.
Vasyl Lomachenko Amateur Record (396-1)
No, that's not a mis-print. 396-1.
Lomachenko is arguably the most successful amateur boxer of all time, possessing a record of 396 wins and 1 loss, with his only defeat avenged twice.
He boasts consecutive gold medals at the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games and consecutive gold at the 2009 and 2011 World Championships.
That is mind-blowing.
2008 Olympic Games
As a featherweight at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, he avenged his 2007 World Championship defeat to rival and then-world champion, Albert Selimov, rallying from a 5-1 deficit. Moreover, he defeated his five opponents by a massive 45 point margin, outscoring them 58–13.
2009 World Championships
Even a broken hand couldn't stop Lomachenko as he won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Milan while compromised. In that tournament, he beat his five opponents by a 56 point margin, outscoring them 63–7.
2012 Olympic Games
As a lightweight, he won his second consecutive Olympic gold medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, defeating Han Soon-Chul of South Korea in the final bracket.
His dominant run is probably the most impressive streak in Olympic boxing history.
Vasyl Lomachenko: Professional facts & stats
- Won the WBO Featherweight title in June 2014 in only his third pro fight.
- Won World Boxing Association Super World Lightweight title in May 2018
- Boasts wins over excellent opposition such as Gary Russell Jr, Roman Martinez, Nicholas Walters, Jason Sosa, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Jorge Linares.
- Lomachenko became a two-division world champion in just seven professional fights; And a three-division world champion in just twelve professional fights.
- Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year (2017)
- Boxing Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year (2017)