Saturday, 14 September 2013 17:02
Mayweather vs Canelo Rematch? 5 Reasons It's LikelyWritten by Jason Leach
Barring a one sided victory by Floyd Mayweather tonight, there are several reasons why Mayweather and Canelo could have a rematch.
(Image courtesy of Showtime)
1. If Canelo wins tonight -This is the most obvious reason why they'll have a rematch. An upset would change the boxing landscape.
As big as the promotion for 'The One' has been, a rematch could be even be bigger as people will want to see if Mayweather can avenge his first loss - or if Canelo stamps his mark as the new face of boxing.
2. The Catchweight Issue- If you watched All Access on Showtime, you've seen both camps say the other requested the catchweight of 152lbs for tonight's fight.
If Mayweather wins by a close decision, Canelo's camp could campaign for a rematch at the normal 154 weight limit next year. A rematch at 154 would end all excuses between these two camps once and for all.
3. Limited number of other big name fighters- With Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank unable to make big fights due to their feud, this limits the number of possible opponents for Mayweather and Canelo.
If Mayweather wins Saturday night he could decide to fight the winner of Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse for his next fight, if Garcia or Matthysse is willing to have their first fight at 147lbs against the best pound for pound fighter in the world. For Canelo he may have to move up to 160 to get a big PPV fight against possibly Sergio Martinez if he's unable to get a rematch with Mayweather.
4. Cinco De Mayo weekend- If a rematch were to take place it will more than likely happen next year on the Cinco De Mayo weekend. Cinco de Mayo is the biggest weekend of the year in boxing, and having Mexico's biggest star against Mayweather would make this the biggest fight of the year again.
5. All about the Money- The buildup to tonight's fight has been huge as they had an unprecedented 11 city press tour, and created a New WBC Junior Middleweight belt for the winner of tonight's fight made of real gold. Also. this event could result in a record number of PPV buys.
So why not see if a rematch can equal or surpass those numbers? With the money Golden Boy Promotions invested putting this fight together, it seems only fitting that a rematch happens especially if the fight ends in up in a close or controversial decision. A rematch equals more money for everyone involved.